Master programme Psychology
In next academic year, we are enrolling the first generation of master's students in the Psychology program at SFU Ljubljana!
The Master’s programme in Psychology offers a scientific education preparing students for professional practice. The curriculum consists of a core study programme and two specialisations: Clinical Psychology and Business & Economic Psychology.
SFU Ljubljana announced a new faculty study programme Psychology in academic year 2018/19. The implementation of the study programme has been confirmed by the Slovenian Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (SQAA), decision no. 6033-4 / 2015/9 of 19th of January 2017 and by the Austrian National Accreditation Body "Akkreditierung Austria" (on 12th of September 2018). The department in Slovenia works under the Faculty of Psychology at SFU Vienna. Master programme in Psychology is expected to start in October 2022.
The focus of the new SFU study program is on the applied role of psychological research and teaching. This direct linking of psychological practice with academic work promotes both professional and personal growth of students and enables better preparation for later employment. One of the key goals is to offer students a broad perspective and theoretical context that encompasses philosophical epistemological reflection, sociology, culturology, anthropology, and history, and thus the inclusion of new concepts, e.g. those that transcend the one-person paradigm and encourage the solution of current social problems.
You are warmly invited to enroll!
The practical training of modern humanities and social sciences is based on the decision to strenghten the connection between the curriculum of the new study programme Psychology.
- Scientific research and practice.
- Scientific research practices and teaching.
- Various phenomena and their theoretical reflection.
The Master’s programme in Psychology offers a scientific education preparing students for the professional practice. The curriculum consists of a core study programme and two specialisations:
- Clinical Psychology
In this specialisation you will learn to look at Clinical and Health Psychology from a global, socio-cultural perspective. Whether as a clinician, policy-maker, activist or researcher, you will be able to integrate individual, societal and cultural factors in the care of people with impaired mental health. For more information on the specialisation, see curriculum of Clinical Psychology.
- Business & Economic Psychology
This specialisation is designed as a response and challenge to prepare future generations of business psychologists for increasing digitalization and internationalization and the development of academic skills within the constant changes in the business environment.
Intercultural communication is a modern challenge that becomes an integral part of the academic process when studying the Business and Economic Psychology program. Students are included in the international academic network of cooperation between individual branches and with foreign professors from different countries. For more information on the specialisation, see curriculum of Bussines & Economic Psychology.
Special features of the Psychology study programme at SFU Ljubljana:
- Engaged teaching, individualized approach and study support.
The program is designed in accordance with the guidelines and standards of the European Federation of Psychological Associations. (EFPA)
Working and learning in small groups.
SFU enables student’s early involvement in research projects under the expert mentorship of the professional staff.
In tutoring groups the students solve problems during their studies, present new ideas, evaluate, socialize and learn to listen to different opinions and each other.
In the study programme, theory and practice are interconnected in the context of learning moderation techniques, leadership and team dynamics, etc.
In addition to basic knowledge of psychology, the study also includes self-awareness exercises.
Possibility of an internship.
Self-awareness techniques and personal growth.
- The students have the possibility of student exchanges and meeting guest lecturers from SFU Vienna.
- 4 semesters / 120 ECTS
- 2 years of master study programme
Master of Science (MSc)
ISCED–2011: Level 7 and EQR/NQR: Level 7 in Austria
VIII (2. bolonjska stopnja) po SOK oz. VII (2. bolonjska stopnja) po Uredbi stopnjo izobrazbe in Slovenia
The Study takes place in the afternoons or evenings during the week and/or Saturdays.
Clinical Psychology and general courses in Psychology is taught at SFU Ljubljana, while courses in Business and Economic Psychology will be partly taught in Vienna, in cooperation with foreign lecturers. In Vienna, courses will be held in English and will be given in several intensive courses sets during the academic year (three sets; approximately two weeks in each academic year).
Formal prerequisite for admission to the Master Psychology programme at the Faculty of Psychology in Ljubljana is proof of an University entrance qualification such as:
- Certificate of your completed Bachelor Degree in Psychology or related studies
- Completed education of the 1st level of psychology abroad
- Motivational letter
- Participation at a 2-day admission seminar after the enrollment and before the new academic year.
Enrollment in the master's study of Psychology from other completed related bachelor study's fields
- Students who have already obtained 50 ECTS in the field of psychology in the bachelor's study of a related field can apply for enrollment in the master's study of Psychology at SFU Ljubljana.
- The Faculty of Psychology of the Sigmund Freud University Vienna will discuss each case individually. In the case of a positively resolved application, it will determine which psychological courses in the range of 10 - 60 ECTS, the candidate will have to pass for enrollment in the master's degree in Psychology at SFU Ljubljana.
- The application submitted by the potential student should contain, in addition to the application for enrollment, the curriculum of the completed undergraduate course.
- Applications for enrollment in the next academic year must be submitted no later than 30 May of the current academic year. The application is submitted physically to SFU Ljubljana and sent by regular mail. The attachments are: the syllabus and the curriculum of the completed study.
The master's study with a focus on Clinical psychology offers scientifically based and practically useful knowledge for a wide range of professional tasks or. activities (clinical-psychological diagnostics, psychological prevention, psychological counseling, rehabilitation, etc.).
Master's studies with a focus on Business and Economic Psychology acquire specific knowledge and skills by participating in fields such as: Research paradigms in business and economic psychology, Work psychology, Social and organizational psychology, Consumer and market psychology, Personnel psychology, Market research, Solving conflicts in organizations, Behavioral economics, etc.